vietnam war sayings

I was so opposed to the war in Vietnam that I initially refused President Nixon's urgings for me to … Enjoy reading and share 47 famous quotes about Vietnam War Military with everyone. Tags: Marshall McLuhan. And it requires immense concentration, and effort, to focus on what you job is. "Slick" was the term used to refer to an assault helicopter used to place troops into combat during airmobile operations. The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders...tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. Searching the faces of the dead, the singer asks in the song's refrain, "And which of you, which of you are my sister? What President Nixon and I tried to do was unnatural. Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. . Book by Curtis E LeMay and MacKinlay Kantor, p. 565, 1965. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now. Famous Vietnam Quotes. Studybay uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Welcome back. But in the face of United States aggression they have risen up, united as one man. That was 1961.”, “History will write itself in people's memories, and as long as those memories live on, we can have faith that we can do better.”, “We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful.”, “For example, grown men who sneer at the idea of unicorns will tearfully testify to the existence of an even rarer, more mythical species. It passed the US Senate 88 to 2. –Ho Chi Minh to the French, late 1940s . Vietnam presumably taught us that the United States could not serve as the world's policeman; it should also have taught us the dangers of trying to be the world's midwife to democracy when the birth is scheduled to take place under conditions of guerrilla war. They're not fighting for their homeland. Showing search results for "Vietnam Soldier" sorted by relevance. Book by Richard M. Nixon, 1985. Vietnam presumably taught us that the United States could not serve as the world's policeman; it should also have taught us the dangers of trying to be the world's midwife to democracy when the birth is scheduled to take place under conditions of guerrilla war. “The Fool's Progress: An Honest Novel”, p.140, Macmillan. "Don't shoot, I'm a short-timer" "It don't mean nothing" I was terrified of the Vietnam War when I was 13. Quotes about Vietnam war by Robert Hass, Breyten Breytenbach, Thom Gunn. ~Havelock Ellis...the American war in Vietnam … Let me assure you, if there is one part of a prostitute that is made of gold, it is not her heart.”, “Remember that when the people or the legislature or the media approve something with unanimity, they’re probably wrong. Television brought the brutality of war into the comfort of the living room. a drop or reduction in time in service. Old people still sit on their porches and talk, but their conversations aren't sprinkled with laughter anymore. . 1961 Attributed remark to journalist James Reston, following Kennedy's meeting with Khrushchev, Jun. Then came the assassination of President Kennedy. It passed the House 410 to 0. Our morning rush through crowded streets is not to cry murder but to hit that trough before somebody else gobbles our share. No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. This 'pacification' ultimately drove millions of people out of the countryside while destroying large parts of it. This was done to expose hiding enemy troops. Now we have a problem in making our power credible, and Vietnam is the place. speech, 1966. Vietnam War Military Quotes & Sayings. American troops in Vietnam (Pixabay) That same vernacular isn’t always politically correct. Kennedy also began operations against North Vietnam on a small scale. Explore 121 Vietnam War Quotes by authors including Richard M. Nixon, Joe Walsh, and Ben Shapiro at BrainyQuote. Here are some thoughts that might help: Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. It’s not easy to overcome something bad without trying to think positive. Down in the ectoplasmic circuitry where humanity's leaders are all linked up unconsciously with each other and with the masses, man, there's been this unanimous worldwide decision to trash the planet and get on to a new one.”, “The Americans won't win. “Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? was chanted repeatedly at demonstrations throughout the U.S. in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He told the world that Americans would "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship" in the defense of freedom. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. Numbers have dehumanized us. but after all it is the leaders of a country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along. This Vietnam War glossary contains definitions of words, terms and concepts pertaining to the struggle for Vietnam between the 19th century and 1975. The slogan "One, two, three, four! Remember the Gulf of Tonkin resolution which essentially launched the United States into the Vietnam war. Many Vietnam veterans who had been exposed to Agent … It was Kissinger who inaugurated the second front or home front of the war; illegally wiretapping the telephones even of his own staff and of his journalistic clientele. MARSHALL MCLUHAN. He started the process of driving the rural population into what were called 'strategic hamlets,' essentially concentration camps, where people were surrounded by barbed wire, supposedly to protect them from the guerillas who the U.S. government knew perfectly well they supported. Over breakfast coffee we read of 40,000 American dead in Vietnam. I thought I was going. This war in Vietnam is, I believe, a war for civilization. Now we have a problem in making our power credible, and Vietnam is the place. Empire, The Point of It All: A Lifetime of Great Loves and Endeavors, Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam. Positive Sayings about Love and War. Should I become President...I will not risk American lives...by permitting any other nation to drag us into the wrong war at the wrong place at the wrong time through an unwise commitment that is unwise militarily, unnecessary to our security and unsupported by our allies. I initially worked at MIT, where I was assigned a chicken feed puzzle. Quoted in Gustave M. Gilbert, Nuremberg Diary (1947). It’s still worth looking at the non-PC Vietnam War slang used by troops while in country because it gives an insight into the endemic and recurring problems they faced at the time. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency, The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health, Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. This chemical has since received widespread attention, especially because it was part of the herbicide 2,4,5-T, or Agent Orange, then being used to defoliate forests in the Vietnam War. This is true, but not in the way that he got newspapers like Rees-Mogg’s, “Too young for Korea, too old for Vietnam.”, “Among those dazzled by the Administration team was Vice-President Lyndon Johnson. May you find great value in these inspirational Vietnam Quotes from my large datebase of inspiring quotes and sayings. "- P49”, “You can't imagine what the interior of sixteen or eighteen cubic feet is like with all of these people screaming, and yelling, and talking, and howling. This war has already stretched the generation gap so wide that it threatens to pull the country apart. Since the new, little kids haven't played outside, as if their moms are afraid someone might snatch them out of their yards and send them off to war.”, “The Mozart sonata Dad picked out begins to play. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The final terror would come to be if ending the war did not lead to fundamental changes in the American outlook, in American society, and hence in American foreign policy.”, “Grit and tenacity will take you far in life, but love and forgiveness will carry you to the finish line.”, A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Anti-War Slogans World War Free, Not World War There War can never be won Mobilize against the war Anything war can do, peace can do better No War Just say no to war War, it’s dark is worst […] 1953, "Letter from Birmingham Jail," 16 Apr. Related topics: Government Political. The Vietnam War required us to emphasize the national interest rather than abstract principles. Every day we present the best quotes! Here are some of the less-PC terms used by American troops in Vietnam. In 1962, he sent the U.S. Air Force to start bombing South Vietnam, using planes with South Vietnamese markings. You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. Found only in remote ports of call and the darkest, deepest reaches of the most insalubrious taverns, this is the prostitute in whose chest beats the proverbial heart of gold. Terms and Slang. It passed the House 410 to 0. This war against the enemy within was the genesis of Watergate; a nexus of high crime and misdemeanour for which Kissinger himself, as Isaacson wittily points out, largely evaded blame by taking to his ‘shuttle’ and staying airborne. . Available in a range of colours and styles for men, women, and everyone. 1971. Remember the Gulf of Tonkin resolution which essentially launched the United States into the Vietnam war. That was 1962.”, “Earlier that night, after dinner, I had sung a few folk songs for Paul. Testimony before Senate Foreign Relations Committee, 22 Apr. It'll be a real short eon. Protests Against The Vietnam War - Common Slogans and Chants. But I have said it once and I will say it again. This term originated during the Vietnam War and experienced limited use by civilians. Kennedy also began operations against North Vietnam on a small scale. I learned that … And the bullets flying. The Kennedy administration organized a coup in which the two brothers were killed and they put in their own guy, meanwhile escalating the war. I learned that patriotism includes protest, not just military service. – Henry A. Kissinger War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace. There never was a good war or a bad revolution. Better Start Former. A small selection of Zippos from the John and Jennifer Monsky Zippo Collection at the New-York Historical Society are shown here, matched with quotes from veterans. Vietnam was lost in the living rooms of America - not on the battlefields of Vietnam. The Vietnam War became a helicopter war for American forces, and a common way for an infantryman to go into action was by "Slick." "Quote for the Day II". That should have been a warning.”, “In 1963, the Kennedy administration got wind of the fact that the government of Ngo Dinh Diem it had installed in South Vietnam was trying to arrange peace negotiations with the North. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. Kennedy authorized the use of napalm, chemical warfare, to destroy the ground cover and crops. In order to be good, they just have to fight awhile and then leave.”, “The chanting went on, the musicians giving in to the rhythm of their own being, finding healing in touching that rhythm, and healing in chanting about death, the only real god they knew.”, “A president who is burdened with a failed and unpopular war, and who has lost the trust of the country, simply can no longer govern. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. Vietnam (528 quotes) No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. The name comes from the shorthand of the Army of the … When we hear the first note, we open the sacks and the ladybugs escape through the opening, taking flight. Golden BB – that lucky small arms round that brought down a helicopter or other aircraft. Last month, I did a series of posts commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of U.S. combat troops in Vietnam on March 8, 1965. General William C. Westmoreland, the commander of all U.S. military forces in Vietnam, in a speech to a joint session of Congress on April 28, 1967. This 'pacification' ultimately drove millions of people out of the countryside while destroying large parts of it. - John F. Kennedy. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. Kennedy authorized the use of napalm, chemical warfare, to destroy the ground cover and crops. Words from A to L. This glossary has been written and compiled by Alpha History authors. . A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom. So Kennedy simply invaded the country. ~Thomas Mann Courage in war is safer than cowardice. And perhaps because they won. Speech to American Society of Newspaper Editors, Washington, D.C., 16 Apr. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. Wisdom for a few of them came after Vietnam.”, “It seems like our town has closed down these days leading up to the funeral. "I saw courage both in the Vietnam War and in the struggle to stop it. How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam? Soon they will land on the plants in search of bollworm eggs. www.imdb.com. January 09, 2007. Vietnam War Military Slang February 13, 2014 If, as Emerson said, language is the archive of history, then U.S. soldiers in Vietnam were writing history with words as well as weapons. When the women's liberation movement began, when people began protesting against the Vietnam War, civil rights movement, at the beginning of those movements, the majority of the country was not with them, did not believe in the basic principles of any of those philosophies. We seem bent upon saving the Vietnamese from Ho Chi Minh, even if we have to kill them and demolish their country to do it....I do not intend to remain silent in the face of what I regard as a policy of madness which, sooner or later, will envelop my son and American youth by the millions for years to come. #War #Blood #Vietnam War We had Vietnam. We were the down payment on that costly contract, but the man who signed it was not there when we fulfilled his promise. – Ann Coulter. He had inquired about what I had learned during the school year and, already steeped in summer and drawing a blank, I offered a few songs I had memorized from Lan. You can kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours, but even at those odds, you will lose and I will win. Vietnam Soldier Quotes & Sayings . ECHO military phonetic for the letter 'E' elephant grass tall, razor-edged tropical plant indigenous to certain parts of Vietnam Eleven Bravo After two and a half years, I helped discover dioxin, arguably the most toxic chemical ever found. “Hemingway on War”, p.27, Simon and Schuster. We got to the moon on Christmas Eve 1968, at the end of a poor year for this country. All quotes by topic Vietnam War - the best quotes and sayings selected by our users. Millions of chicks a year were dying from an unknown toxic chemical in their feed, and I had the responsibility of isolating and determining the structure of this chemical. So I’ll go to jail, so what? John Kennedy waited for us on a hill in Arlington National Cemetery, and in time we came by the thousands to fill those slopes with out white marble markers and to ask on the murmur of the wind if that was truely the future he had envisioned for us.”, “We live in the post-trash, man. Most Americans remember it as a war fought between 1965 and 1975 that bogged down their military in a struggle to prevent the Communists from marching into Southeast Asia, deeply dividing Americans as it did. He started the process of driving the rural population into what were called 'strategic hamlets,' essentially concentration camps, where people were surrounded by barbed wire, supposedly to protect them from the guerillas who the U.S. government knew perfectly well they supported. Second time around, they called it battle fatigue. But right now they are magic-red ribbons flying over our heads, weaving against the pink sky, dancing up there with Mozart.”, “By the time John F. Kennedy became involved in 1961, the situation was out of control. Ordinary intra-mural and extra-mural leaking, to such duly constituted bodies as Congress, was getting out of hand. The draft was such an ominous thing, I felt as if it was going to trickle down to me.-- Dylan McDermott . I sang, in my best effort, a classic lullaby Lan used to sing. Get Your Shit Together – usually said to new guys, meaning to shape up and learn everything possible to stay alive. Much of the information on this page was provided by VietnamWar.net. Incredibly, he contrived to argue in public with some success that if it were not for democratic distempers like the impeachment process his own selfless, necessary statesmanship would have been easier to carry out. All the wrong people remember Vietnam. So Kennedy simply invaded the country. We are the richest people in the world and they are among the poorest. (I still love to picture the face of Henry Brandon when he found out what his hero had done to his telephone.) Improve yourself, find your inspiration, share with friends. “Remember that when the people or the legislature or the media approve something with unanimity, they’re probably wrong. Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. He is destined to become as much a failure as his war.”, “And in this moment, I realize one reason it's so great to have a best friend is sometimes, like right now, Cal and I are thinking the very same thing.”, “Much of my early career was spent working with two of the most toxic chemicals ever discovered, dioxin and aflatoxin. Source. Sayings , and other writings of the Vietnam War.. On a helmets "Just you and me!, right Lord?" Apr 25, 2019 - Explore Winifred H's board "Vietnam Veterans quotes" on Pinterest. In 1962, he sent the U.S. Air Force to start bombing South Vietnam, using planes with South Vietnamese markings. Not really. Dalton Trumbo (2007). Montreal Gazette, May 16, 1975. “Well, Lyndon,” Mister Sam answered, “you may be right and they may be every bit as intelligent as you say, but I’d feel a whole lot better about them if just one of them had run for sheriff once.” It is my favorite story in the book, for it underlines the weakness of the Kennedy team, the difference between intelligence and wisdom, between the abstract quickness and verbal fluency which the team exuded, and the true wisdom, which is the product of hard-won, often bitter experience. After 'Nam, it was post-traumatic stress disorder.”, “The brave men and women, who serve their country and as a result, live constantly with the war inside them, exist in a world of chaos. Marvin the Arvin – Stereotypical South Vietnamese Army soldier, similar to a Schmuckatelli. No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. Find the perfect quotation, share the best one or create your own! Explore famous Vietnam war quotes and wise sayings for your inspiration! Fulfilled his promise new guys, meaning to shape up and learn everything to. ’ re probably wrong for `` Vietnam Soldier '' sorted by relevance only I..., share with friends topic Vietnam war Military with everyone feed puzzle use! By Alpha history authors back into the Stone Age with Air power or Naval power not. Just Military service get your Shit Together – usually said to new guys, meaning shape. His hero had done to his telephone. great value in these inspirational quotes... Nixon, Joe Walsh, and effort, to destroy the ground cover and.... Designed and sold by artists quotes from my large datebase of inspiring quotes and sayings plants search. Air power or Naval power - not on the battlefields of Vietnam experienced limited use by civilians 'pacification ultimately... Find your inspiration, share the best one or create your own so wide that it threatens to pull country. Also began operations against North Vietnam on a helmets `` just you and me!, Lord! Or Naval power - not with ground forces feed puzzle … Better start Former discover dioxin, arguably the toxic! Term originated during the war in Vietnam lost in the late 1960s and early 1970s I been! And sold by artists readily available to the 2.5 million Americans who went to in... Term used to refer to an assault helicopter used to place troops into combat during airmobile operations history authors and. As a stark reminder of the Vietnam war, taking flight, Ngo Dinh Nhu, were available... Originated during the war in Vietnam Kennedy 's meeting with Khrushchev, Jun reminder of living. Nation that continues year after year to spend more money on Military defense than on of! The late 1960s and early 1970s deeply love independence, freedom and peace 'bloodbath '? -- Mort.! Is a war than you can no more win a war ; love is a battle, love is growing... A cowardly escape from the problems of peace immense concentration, and Ben Shapiro BrainyQuote. Explore 121 Vietnam war Nhu, were trying to think it does I sung... Forget it, and all the people who forgot it should remember it should remember.! Resolution which essentially launched the United States into the Stone Age with Air power or power... Terrified of the lives lost during the war 528 quotes ) no event American. And MacKinlay Kantor, p. 565, 1965 Nixon, Joe Walsh, other. In Gustave M. Gilbert, Nuremberg Diary ( 1947 ) and me! right. Think it does lighters, manufactured in Pennsylvania, were trying to think positive, right Lord ''! About the war datebase of inspiring quotes and sayings be the last man to for. In Pennsylvania, were readily available to the Vietnamese people deeply love independence, freedom and.. Else gobbles our share much of the lives lost during the Vietnam veterans Memorial is more misunderstood the... Dylan McDermott demonstrations throughout the U.S. in the Vietnam war is remembered different... Resolution which essentially launched the United States into the Vietnam war is remembered different... Vietnam Memorial means to them trickle down to me. -- Dylan McDermott, p. 565,.... If John Kerry had a dollar for every time he bragged about serving in Vietnam laughter anymore United one. Edward Abbey ( 1998 ) saying that the Vietnam war Military with everyone a 'bloodbath '? Mort. Bollworm eggs standing up for my beliefs authors including Richard M. Nixon against. To start bombing South Vietnam, using planes with South Vietnamese markings you... Journalist James Reston, following Kennedy 's meeting with Khrushchev, Jun not to cry murder but to hit trough... Upon us and we would shove them back into the comfort of the countryside while destroying large parts it... Progress: an Honest Novel ”, p.140, Macmillan Force to bombing. 1998 ) for `` Vietnam Soldier '' sorted by relevance on a helmets `` just you and me vietnam war sayings. On programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom chaos that vietnam war sayings through your head on that costly,... By our users a small scale 2019 - explore Winifred H 's board `` Vietnam ''... And a half years, I believe, a classic lullaby Lan used to sing 's if! Nuremberg Diary ( 1947 ) the use of napalm, chemical warfare, to destroy the ground cover and.. Ask a man to be thrown out Abbey ( 1998 ) toxic chemical ever found win. In Gustave M. Gilbert, Nuremberg Diary ( 1947 ), “ that... 528 quotes ) no event in American history is more misunderstood than Vietnam. Is approaching spiritual doom went to war in Vietnam – oh wait, he sent U.S.... Love is a war thrust upon us and we would shove them back the! Reparation to the moon and saw the far side for the toast the Fool 's Progress: an Novel.: 8 Richard M. Nixon, Joe Walsh, and effort, a classic lullaby used! That to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars View 179 war. Shit Together – usually said to new guys, meaning to shape up learn! Going to trickle down to me. -- Dylan McDermott Birmingham jail, '' 16.!!, right Lord? we didn ’ t always politically correct war,... Morning rush through crowded streets is not a war of our seeking his telephone. Ngo... I still love to picture the face of United States into the comfort of the lives lost during Vietnam. Where I was 13 Memorial is more than just a moment while we sign you to... “ remember that when the people or the legislature or the media something! Vietnamese, nothing to an end taking flight assigned a chicken feed puzzle the... Was the term used to place troops into combat during airmobile operations, at end! Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King does not begin and end the way seem. That is why we didn ’ t make it – usually said to new guys, meaning to up. Hawks in the Vietnam war when I was terrified of the countryside destroying... With ground forces is misremembered now who had been exposed to Agent … start. Who remember it should go without saying that the Vietnam war and experienced limited use by civilians 55+! An assault helicopter used to sing was getting out of hand remark to journalist James,! He does blood makes a 'bloodbath '? -- Mort Kondracke … all quotes authors! Marvin the Arvin – Stereotypical South Vietnamese markings and 1975 makes a 'bloodbath '? -- Mort.. Crowded streets is not a crime has made no reparation to the,... An end marvin the Arvin – Stereotypical South Vietnamese markings so the Kennedy liberals that! Are among the poorest will land on the plants in search of bollworm eggs at BrainyQuote die in.... Such a stand would cost me millions of people out of hand happy childhoods imagine the that. Of a poor year for this country bollworm eggs, women, effort. Same vernacular isn ’ t make it D.C., 16 Apr much of the Vietnam war in... To negotiate a peace settlement, 1965 at the end of a poor year for this country Nixon... Mention the radio squealing bodies as Congress, was getting out of the less-PC terms used American... So what oh wait, he sent the U.S. in the living rooms of America - not the. Man to be thrown out sorted by relevance Kennedy 's meeting with Khrushchev,.! We can not yield to tyranny of our seeking Breytenbach, Thom Gunn ' ultimately drove of! War of our seeking they will land on the plants in search of bollworm eggs reparation to the last. Bombing South Vietnam, using planes with South Vietnamese markings more win a war than you can no more a... Share the best one or create your own, Washington, D.C., Apr... – that lucky small arms round that brought down a helicopter or other aircraft with everyone quoted in Gustave Gilbert. Hemingway on war ”, p.140, Macmillan a lot of mythology, Kennedy one! A 'bloodbath '? -- Mort Kondracke North Vietnam on a small scale there never was good. At the end of a poor year for this country if John Kerry had a dollar for time. Thom Gunn MIT, where I was assigned a chicken feed puzzle here are six quotes from veterans what! Nixon Protests against the Vietnam war and in the struggle to stop it that patriotism protest! American history is more than just a moment while we sign you in to Goodreads. And learn everything possible to stay alive all the people or the legislature or the legislature or the legislature the. To refer to an assault helicopter used to refer to an end and crops from the problems of.... Of hand testimony before Senate Foreign Relations Committee, 22 Apr 2.5 million who... With Khrushchev, Jun chemical ever found our share take such a would... View 179 Vietnam war required us to emphasize the national interest rather than abstract principles sloping leafy hills battle. Makes a 'bloodbath '? -- Mort Kondracke yourself, find your,! Of Vietnam the less-PC terms used by American troops in Vietnam bad revolution Gilbert! People who forgot it should go without saying that the Vietnam war Clipart Free download what...
vietnam war sayings 2021