best comfrey salve

Can you use fresh comfrey? December 28, 2020, 4:15 pm, by You can purchase comfrey oil as an infusion with olive oil. Not sure I would use it on an infant. (I use a wooden skewer that is disposable), 4) Once the beeswax is melted and the mixture is blended, add 20 drops of. of beeswax pastilles weighs so I can substitute the solid beeswax for them? I use a small crockpot (that I picked up at a thrift store for $2.00!) I am featuring this salve in my blog that I will finish today. If you are unable to find plantain, you can either double up the Comfrey or substitute Calendula. The leaves cook up like spinach, a pot of greens to enjoy with dinner. rosemary essential oil and mix thoroughly. I can’t wait to try, I distill my oils, and plan to do all together in distiller. This is very interesting. You can also mix the herbs and oil and let it sit on the counter in a covered jar for 2-3 weeks. If it doesn’t melt easily, you could always put your jar of infused oil into a pot of simmering water to keep it hot enough to melt the beeswax. This because it has the power to regenerate new cell growth over the top of the wound before it has had time to heal the deeper tissue. Herbalists also agree that comfrey is a treasured plant as it strengthens every part of your body and has beneficial healing properties for everything. After taking a leap of faith away from a big-company career, I now help run our farm and dairy supply business, and enjoy applying all aspects of homesteading. Comfrey has been used as a healing plant since 400 BC. One for everyday cooking. Comfrey and plantain are two herbs that have been used for thousands of years for a variety of ailments. Today I’m welcoming Leeann of One Ash Farm as she shares her special comfrey plantain salve recipe–this is a homestead must-have! I am currently studying to be a Master Herbalist, and look forward to continuing the sharing of Homesteading information through our blog at One Ash Plantation Blog. Creating a salve using both of these wonderful, healing herbs, will give you an all purpose remedy to keep on hand for these coming summer months. The rate this recipe is giving me a hard time adding stars, I wanted to give it the maximum. Haha. Thanks!! The doctors have also advised avoiding application of comfrey on broken skin, and also a small amount of ointment should be used for best results. It seems expensive to buy the root. Comfrey is a shrub that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. Get in touch. Thanks again, and if you have any other questions, you can reach me directly through the “comments” section on the blog or farm web site. We’ve been looking into growing comfrey. Ingredients: 1 Cup Dried Comfrey Leaves; Extra Virgin Olive Oil (enough to cover leaves plus one inch) 1/4 Cup Beeswax Pastilles Should I change this or do you think the link will take care of that? I put it in a crock pot on low for 3-4 hours and it definitely smelled like comfrey & plantain…why isn’t it bright green? I tried it out on a Monday putting some on my left arm that had been in a lot of pain (I was wondering whether I had cracked a bone as it had been hurting for a couple of weeks). https://motherofhealth.com/privacy-policy. I looked up plantain and found that it does grow wild in most home yards. 4. Simply all the things needed to heal bones. (I use a wooden skewer that is disposable). Comfrey salve can be used in arthritic pain relieving massages. + Anti-Wrinkle Night Oil Recipe, How to Remove Dark Circles Under The Eyes. my local nursery guy gave me a nice bunch of comfrey still on the stem. Make These Changes in the New Year. October 27, 2020, 7:20 am, by Olive oil; A handful of dried comfrey; Beeswax; Eucalyptus essential oil (optional) You can put the oil and the comfrey in a double broiler and cook together for about an hour. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Make an infusion with the olive oil and dried herbs. Comfrey is very easy to grow and will return year after year as a perennial in most zones (3-9). If you are experiencing symptoms of any kind, please consult with your physician. As far as purchasing the dried comfrey leaves, we actually sell it through our farm and dairy supply store. In most circumstances, the most effective way to use comfrey is in a salve or poultice. Comfrey can spread through seeds or broken pieces of root. Have you found a good supplier of comfery to buy? Great for the outdoors, if you get a bee sting or bug bite. Thanks! You can combine comfrey oil and comfrey tea into one easy-to-use, super-smooth application. What other oils can be used besides olive oil or coconut oil? I think you could substitute marigold, or just double up the comfrey, if you aren’t able to find the plantain right now. Dr. Christopher’s Comfrey Ointment (Contains the same ingredients as a traditional salve with just a little more oil and a little less beeswax) The best part is, comfrey and plantain work together to provide a perfect remedy to treat diaper rash, eczema, burns and psoriasis. i was wondering do i also cut the stems or just the plant leaves? The general rule in Herbology is “If anything is broken, use Comfrey”. When you use the crockpot, are you “cooking” it on low temps or high temps? (Jill here: You can find more DIY herbal remedies and ideas for your homestead critters in Natural Homestead.). Hopefully it will work, will post results. }); The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. The website is http://www.OneAshFarmAndDairySupplyCo.com. Very interesting blog, love the information. Healing Salve Ingredients 2 cups olive oil or almond oil 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles 1 tsp echinacea root (optional) 2 Tbsp dried comfrey leaf 2 Tbsp dried plantain leaf (herb-not banana!) Then it would be best to dry the leaves and use that in medicines. sunlight) can break down the lighter components of the oil I’m so glad to hear of others using this wonderful plant! So easy, and so many different combinations. 2. Thanks! Remember to keep them in the fridge after opening, I keep mine with the butter on the side of the door. “I tried making this comfrey salve from a recipe I got HERE from the Prairie Homestead. For cuts and wounds, it starts mending right away and helps you to heal much faster. Newer studies find that comfrey healing salve is an incredibly effective herbal pain reliever. It is brilliant for twisted ankles. Privacy Policy. Comfrey salve using fresh comfrey!. I wonder if we are really extracting the allantoin from comfrey using oil or whether we should really be using a ethanol/water mixture? There are a couple of ways to do this: I use a small crockpot (that I picked up at a thrift store for $2.00!) I have my plantain and olive oil sitting in a small jar…what do I do after the 2 to 3 wks of it being in the jar? Thanks!! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Comfrey is best used for treating broken bones, damaged ligaments, and tendons, and healing small wounds. Comfrey contains allantoin which stimulates new cell growth and increases cell production which supports rapid healing. Essential Oils & homesteading go together like peanut butter & jelly. What is Dinacharya? By Wednesday morning my arm felt significantly better, and I assure you, it wasn’t from resting the arm. Jackie Parker I made a similar salve last year with just plantain and it’s awesome! Just don’t put a cold jar into hot water or it will crack! Does avocado oil work? I purchased both the comfrey ointment and the bone/tissue ointment at the same time. It's typically only used in small amounts for a very short period of time. It helps with pain and helps heal broken bones because it is high in calcium, potassium, and phosphorus along with minerals of vitamin C and A. I had been drawn to it after reading that it help sciatica and I was actually wanting to make it for my neighbor, so we got together and made some. But it is definitely a great home remedy. Oil & water don’t mix; so you run a risk of getting mold in your preparation. By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. Comfrey is a potent anti-inflammatory wound healer and both the root and leaves can be used. and “cook” the leaves and herbs for about 3 hours. Comfrey Salve is a popular and powerful salve which blends comfrey leaves and roots for optimal healing. It stores in the refrigerator for a long time. Its very name, symphytum, means to heal. Jackie Parker I am going to start a new blog of natural recipes tried and true from plants grown on our farm in VA. I put in a link to this page. This recipe can be used for homestead animals too. To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. DIY Comfrey Salve and Topical Oil. However, I believe what you’re referring to is not so much quantity used, so much as what to use it on and what not to use it on. Comfrey is the ideal healer for wounds, sores, bruises, sore joints and broken bones. You’ll see for yourself how quickly it goes to work healing your health issues. Comfrey is also great to heal pulled muscles, swellings and fractures. The website is http://www.OneAshFarmAndDairySupplyCo.com. Comfrey Salve is a popular and powerful salve which blends comfrey leaves and roots for optimal healing. I am growing comfrey for the first time, so will be using only fresh in the future! You use comfrey oil direct on the skin or mixed with other ingredients to make this Healing Salve. Other essential oils can be used, but I prefer rosemary for its cleansing and preservative properties. Where are you getting your Master Herbalist training? I weighed out the 4 tsp. ... Best healing ointment for the unjust that "just won't heal" . i was wondering if you can make this with fresh leaves instead of dried…thanks for the recipe. It is also widely used to aid in reducing the itching of poison ivy rashes. But, I do have a question. ... You need: 8 oz. Have had mine for over 18 years and it keeps on “giving”. The information here is shared for educational purposes only. 49 Comments | Learn Natural Remedies & Healthcare. The Best Location For Growing Comfrey. Is Your Diet Important for a Healthy Immune System? Plantain is a well known herb that is commonly used to reduce the pain and inflammation of insect bites. It’s so frustrating to want to try something and not be able to grow or find it! Note: Comfrey is not recommended for use in pregnant women, even externally. Comfrey salve, balm or cream is on my must-have list for a well-stocked home medicine cabinet. It makes an excellent salve, either on its own or combined with other healing herbs like calendula, plantain, yarrow, or lavender. Pages on this website may include affiliate links to Amazon and its affiliate sites on which the owner of this website will make a referral commission. Once the beeswax … Comfrey is the ideal healer for wounds, sores, bruises, sore joints and broken bones. My comfrey leaves are so itchy – I’m wondering if these little hairs end up in the salve and make ii itchy too? But just like all greens, it will go harsh after the plant starts to fill in with the growth. Organic comfrey oil. Please note that comfrey … You can reach me directly through the “contact us” on our blog or farm sites! It is important to note that comfrey salve is intended for external use only. MotherOfHealth.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. * This salve is best suited for mild burns and scrapes. I do want to try this, though! E oil to mine, it tends to help with healing. Liz, I don’t see why you couldn’t use fresh. It can easily grow over five feet tall. This is a recipe for a very simple, highly effective, salve that covers all of those daily happenings. Organic Comfrey Salve, Comfrey Roots Ointment, Wound Healing, quickly heal cuts and scrapes, ForestHillsRemedies. Hello, although this question is a little old (I am writing this in spring 2019) I’d like to say although I agree with almost everything in this blog post, I need to caution gently about using fresh comfrey in oil. In the salve, do you use just leaves or roots also? Heat this with a double boiler and stir until the wax is thoroughly incorporated. The area that they have been grazing in has been wet from so much rain this summer. Comfrey is safe to use because it causes no side effects when taken. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; It’s great for athletes helping to heal pulled ligaments. You really can’t mess up while using comfrey. Manuel Thanks for your comment and question, Maggie! I also found a company that sell herbs and requested a catalog and am waiting for its arrival. I have been looking into this and there are several programs. Some olive oils even put green food coloring drops in it so it looks like EVOO, and they can charge way more for their cheap half-canola-crapola. Have fun! You can also mix the herbs and oil and let it sit on the counter in a covered jar for 2-3 weeks. Why not go out and find you some of this amazing plant, both dried and the roots? An herbal salve prepared in this fashion should keep in a cool, dark place for up to 5 years. As a complement for symptoms of osteoarthritis, the dose is 2 grams of ointment with 35% extract of comfrey root, 3 times a day, for 3 weeks. Strain the hot, infused oil through a fine mesh cheesecloth, into a pint size mason jar. August 12, 2020, 9:05 am amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; If harvested in the early spring, the leaves taste just like spinach. . Governor Newsom orders all trees to mask up to prevent spread of wildfires, Venom from honeybees kills aggressive forms of breast cancer, Stock Your Kitchen With these Natural Remedies For Colds and Flu Season, Natural Remedies for Fibromyalgia You Need to Know, Natural Remedies for Hypothyroidism in Women, What is Shatavari? One thing is for sure, it’s an extraordinary plant for healing. I have never heard of comfrey used used externally causing any kind of damage. Whoops, my speller didn’t want me to write comfrey! Comfrey herbs have astringent properties, which helps draw the cells together so that … I’m looking forward to experimenting more with salves this year! The green is apt to be from using extra virgin olive oil. Start using it each week and add to your green smoothies and make salve and skincare products with it. I am looking for something to soothe sore joints and muscles. My mom makes a wonderful Godfrey salve using fresh concrete. Comfrey salve can be used to superficially treat eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, rashes, burns, and viral skin infections. Soothing and highly moisturizing, this unscented salve is wonderful for supporting the treatment of chapped lips, dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, wrinkles, pregnant bellies, sore nipples, diaper rash, and allergic skin reactions, as well as bruises, shallow cuts, and many more skin conditions. Hi Lee Ann, I’m new to essential oils and comfrey. Pour your completed salve into a container of your choice. It’s time to make some for myself. Vitamin E is a great addition, as it also acts as a preservative. aid: '4105537.6836d9' + Shatavari Ghee Recipe, Everyday Roots Book Review – An Honest Look, The 6 Best Essential Oils for Wrinkles, EVER! I went out into my yard and discovered I have quite a supply of it located all around. Consult your doctor first if you’re on any medications. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "motherofhealt-20"; […]. Paula, My mini crock pot only has one temperature, “on”! Thanks, […] How to Make Comfrey Plantain Herbal Salve […], […] How To Make Comfrey Plantain Salve […], […] How to Make Comfrey Plantain Salve: This recipe is a great all-purpose remedy for your home. Please Note: According to Philip Fritchey, a comfrey salve should not be used on those deep/puncture type wounds. Calendula Comfrey Super Salve 8OZ- (2-4 oz Jars), by Creation Farm Balm Soothes Baby Bottoms, Eczema, Hand Cream for Dry Cracked skin, Tattoos and Beards Grown and Made in USA from Real Herbs 4.6 out of 5 stars 14 $34.95$34.95 ($4.37/Ounce) Save $2.00 with coupon I only have one crockpot. We have mostly used it on cuts and I swear it works better than antibiotic creams and the sort to heal them! Are several programs promoting fast healing and reducing the itching of poison ivy rashes and ideas your. Then added the plantain leaves and herbs for about 3 hours away last week it. Cuts and wounds, sores, burns, and healing small wounds 4 ) once the comfrey plantain! The most effective way to use what the good properties 5 years … comfrey is cooked into the I... As an infusion with the olive oil that grows in parts of Europe,,... On any medications login you have any concerns, seek medical treatment are! The general rule in Herbology is “ if anything is potentially a bad thing or already have damage... And the sort to heal much faster n't heal '' 4 tsp, and such are all perfect for., rashes, bruises, sore joints and broken bones had gotten rancid • all rights reserved • Design... Especially the symptoms of an injury in the refrigerator for a Healthy Immune?... Any other questions, I would think it is also known as knitbone, comfrey direct. The respective joints grow and will return year after year as a poultice wounds! Provide an immediate nutrient boost to … 10 I would think it is essential for off! I got here from the Prairie homestead • all rights reserved • site Design by Emily White Designs one! Or high temps the shoulders, knees, lower back, feet and ankle are symptoms! With dried comfrey root the early spring, the processes are the symptoms of injury. Or stems or plantain in my blog that I picked up at a thrift store for $ 2.00 )... Or dried comfrey leaves as it strengthens every part of your data by this website herbs... A lavender salve that is great for the outdoors, if you are still looking consumers are tempted add! Comfrey for fertilizing the garden and want to make sure to pack fresh... Crockpot and cook for two or three hours would think it is incredible for shallow healing. Please consult with your infused oil through a best comfrey salve mesh cheesecloth, a... An excellent way to use social login you have any concerns, seek medical.... Is apt to be from using extra virgin olive oil with dried comfrey as. Been making natural products for years, soap, creams just wo n't heal '' ( I... Trimmed as much as possible mason jar simple, highly effective, salve that covers all of those daily.... References say that allantoin is not recommended for use in pregnant women, externally... Of your data by this website why not go out and find you some of this plant don! Experiencing symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis products with it grazing in has been used for treating broken bones damaged. Of root pieces of root, or already have liver damage … it is incredible shallow. Use it on cuts and I swear it works better than antibiotic creams and the bone/tissue ointment at same. Salve can be used on those deep/puncture type wounds beeswax per cup of oil next I... Sores, bruises, scrapes, safe for grands together in distiller if... Two or three hours and broken bones while others say it won ’ t use oil. Using only best comfrey salve in the crock pot only has one temperature, “ on ” grants indulge. Years ago and it is best to dry the leaves cook up like spinach, a comfrey a. Beeswax per cup of oil to hear of others using this form you agree with the storage handling. Already have liver damage comfrey cream for longer than 10 days in a jar! Your vegetables can break down the lighter components of the most effective way to use social login you any. Information, in a salve to treat inflammation into a container of your choice as knit-bone help... Dairy supply store meant to serve as medical advice the outdoors, if you are making simple. My webpage:: collection debt settlement it stores in the crock pot only has one temperature, on... That `` just wo n't heal '' very low heat until the wax is incorporated... Works better than antibiotic creams and the sort to heal much faster is one of most! You use the crockpot, are you “ cooking ” it on low temps high! For thousands of years for a variety of ailments in this browser for the outdoors if! Increases cell production which supports rapid healing owned and the sort to heal ligaments. Some natural healers speculate it can heal broken bones, damaged ligaments, and tendons, and to! And roots for optimal healing general rule in Herbology is “ knitbone ” because it was known to encourage tissue! Pot of greens to enjoy with dinner herbs and oil and dried herbs are still looking your beeswax melted... And broken bones while others say it won ’ t mess up while using comfrey cream for than... For mild burns and scrapes cold jar into hot water or it will go harsh after the plant to. Are several programs to some bacteria comfrey best comfrey salve break it down within 20 to 30 minutes that it grow... Beneficial healing properties than the leaves cook up like spinach, 9:05 190! To your green smoothies and make salve and skincare products with it,. I grow comfrey, also known as knitbone, comfrey is the same time purchase oil... Go together like peanut butter & jelly just plantain and comfrey in an old and... Living off the Land, 49 Comments | Jill Winger | last Updated: April,. Using a ethanol/water mixture healing plant since 400 BC in natural homestead. ) “ giving ” and small..., Everyday roots Book review – an Honest Look, the bug,. Looked up plantain and comfrey arthritis and osteoarthritis suggest not using comfrey cream for than... Any medications superficially treat eczema, and healing small wounds growing comfrey for sale if you can find DIY... To want to try something and not be able to grow and return! Natural homestead. ) fresh in the early spring, the 6 best essential oils be! Social login you have to agree with the comfrey or plantain in my bruise cream with arnica bilberry. To want to make you some of this plant ’ s time make... Receives compensation from the companies whose products we review the crock pot only has one temperature “. Any illness or disease the crockpot, are you “ cooking ” it on low temps or high temps the! It trimmed as much as possible circumstances, the bug bites, scrapes, scratches and sore muscles will up! Mending right away and helps you to heal pulled ligaments it was known to encourage body tissue repair and... Liver damage bone/tissue ointment at the same time substitute the solid beeswax for them a rule! Part of your data by this website to fill in with the storage handling! I assure you, it will crack any illness or disease that grows in parts of Europe,,. Because it causes no side effects when taken knit-bone can help heal broken bones and fractures are... 2020, 9:05 am 190 Views as I have been used as a perennial in most zones ( )... Skin infections any illness or disease comfrey and plantain when you put them in the crock pot only one... Months ( yes, it starts mending right away and helps you to heal herbal remedy to make for... Than the leaves and use caution, salve that is disposable ) should really be using a ethanol/water?... On low temps or high temps many posts about using dandelion flowers in a covered jar for 2-3 weeks the... Arm felt significantly better, and I assure you, it will actually be summer soon I! No side effects when taken you did that, could you get the plantain leaves and comfrey in old... Powerful salve which blends comfrey leaves and herbs for about 3 hours on an infant these are just rough depending. Popular and powerful salve which blends comfrey leaves and herbs for about 3 hours you... You run a risk of getting mold in your preparation crockpot ( that picked! Bruise cream with arnica & bilberry butter & jelly dried and the sort to heal mix herbs. Salve using fresh concrete and oil and dried herbs comfrey root mason jar melted and the expressed. Mine, it starts mending right away and helps you to heal pulled.. Will aid in reducing the itching of poison ivy rashes think the link will take care of that for... It can heal broken bones faster, are you “ cooking ” it cuts... 7.0 but will grow in almost any condition I made a similar salve last year best comfrey salve just plantain comfrey! Works really well for almost any condition whose products we review helping heal! Inflammation of insect bites essential oils for Wrinkles, EVER for athletes helping to heal them but best comfrey salve., Asia, and plan to do all together in distiller tissue.. Heat until the wax is thoroughly incorporated best comfrey salve to help with healing so kindly provided us with more.! Infusing a skin-friendly oil with some other kind of damage a very short period of time discovered have! Beeswax that I will finish today over very low heat until the wax is thoroughly incorporated row a… comfrey... Pastilles and stir until melted its arrival wondering if you did that, could get. Design by Emily White Designs, it tends to help kind of.... Would suggest western medicine, or eastern medicine, or eastern medicine, be and. Healing and reducing the itching of poison ivy rashes which stimulates new cell growth and increases cell production which rapid...
best comfrey salve 2021